Some experts estimate that, on average, companies are using less than 50 percent of NVM Express® (NVMe™) SSDs’ IOPS and capacity in application servers. To unlock the full performance and value of NVMe™ and share it across applications, consider Excelero NVMesh®, an innovative NVMe-over-Fabric™ (NVMe-oF™) software-defined storage (SDS) solution deployed on Micron® data center NVMe SSDs. Excelero runs fast and efficiently on Micron’s PCIe flash drives.
How It’s Built
Excelero NVMesh SDS connects multiple server nodes (with Micron’s NVMe SSDs inside) using high-speed, industry-standard Ethernet and efficient RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) with low-latency data service software from Excelero. The result is a distributed storage solution that performs like local direct-attached storage.
The Excelero SDS solution with Micron high-performance SSDs provides a highly available and scalable NVMe block storage service for high-performance applications. Coordinated by a centralized, out-of-band management service, the NVMesh intelligent client block driver and the NVMesh target module provide access to virtualized block storage (see Figure 1). This architecture lets you target the specific requirements of one or more workloads. For example, you decide whether each server runs the intelligent client block driver, the target module, or both data components simultaneously.
Figure 1: Excelero NVMesh Architecture Overview
View the Micron Excelero NVMesh Reference Architecture to learn more.
- Ultimate Flexibility: By organizing the software as a set of independently deployable components, you can build storage-centric or converged compute and storage deployments — or any combination of the two. For this reference architecture, Micron created a high-performance, storage-centric deployment that mimics the deployment concepts of a traditional storage area network.
- Seamless Scalability: Increase capacity as needed with no downtime and grow to adequate capacities without reducing overall storage performance in unpredictable ways. Decouple storage from application servers and grow the solution to support hundreds of target nodes (with up to tens of petabytes of storage per cluster) in a manageable way thanks to the use of NVMeoF technology.
- Optimized Performance: Ensure optimal throughput and latency with Excelero’s SDS, which has been designed from the ground up to take full advantage of NVMe SSDs like Micron’s along with advanced Ethernet networking infrastructure.
- Lower Latency: Support highly transactional, real-time applications thanks to the speed of Micron NVMe SSDs coupled with high-bandwidth RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) fabric, which reduce added latency to an application’s data path compared to local (in-server) NVMe. You can also reduce end-to-end latency by 50µs to 100µs compared to a traditional Fibre Channel all-flash storage area network.
- Easy Manageability: Set up, configure and execute your key data services (RAID) with ease thanks to Excelero’s web-based graphical management interface.
- Breakthrough Efficiency: Do the same work with fewer servers — or do more work with your existing servers — with a solution that pools the available storage together. This allows you to scale at high efficiency without sacrificing performance or driving up costs.
You may already know how well NVMe performs in a localized environment. So how do you spread that performance beyond a single server and across an entire scale-out architecture to maximize the performance and investment in NVMe? The answer is NVMeoF. It provides a faster way of connecting to the CPU by using the high-speed interconnects of RoCE fabric, making it an ideal architecture for a range of low-latency, robust data needs beyond just high-performance computing workloads.
- Real-Time Data Analytics
- Big Data Solutions
- Containerized Infrastructure
- Scale-Out Databases